Subject: Re: Computer espionage by M$ (fwd)
From: [email-masked]
To: LightWave Mailing List <[email-masked]>
Cc: imaginemailinglist <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 1995 01:59:00 -0400

On Fri, 2 Jun 1995, Desktop Images wrote:

> MSN downloads new versions of itself if it detects an older version when you
> log on.  It also receives the registration info, the same stuff your asked
> to fill out in your registration card, when and only when you hit the
> on-line registration button and then click OK.  That's it.  If you don't
> want them to know your system configuration don't hit the button.

The point is that MicroSoft has put something into their new operating 
system that people (I assume) don't know about...and selecting a 
Registration option should do ONLY that.  Maybe you're correct and 
MicroSoft had very noble intentions when they decided to incorporate this 
into Win95, but personally, I don't want ANYTHING going into my machine 
that I don't put there myself, even if it's something I need!  Besides, 
why would MicroSoft keep such a "beneficial" feature of Win95 under their 
hats?  

Purchasers of any product should know EXACTLY what they're buying before 
they buy!

> You're giving an awful lot of credit to an on-line system that barely works
> yet.  You'll find more info in the new info world (vol 17). 

Thanks, I'll check out Info World...  ...I don't use any MicroSoft 
products yet, but will be forced to when I purchase an Alpha workstation,
and I want to know exactly what I'm getting myself into when I start 
using WindozeNT or any other MicroSoft product.  Win95 and MSN may not 
work properly yet, but that's not really the issue here...seems to me 
like MicroSoft is testing the waters to see what they can get away with.

Anyways, this isn't the place to carry on such off-topic discussions...I'll 
refrain from posting anymore messages here about this subject.

                                      -David Warner
                                       Event Horizon Graphics

--
[email-masked] sent this message.
To Post a Message           : [email-masked]
Un/Subscription Requests To : [email-masked]
(DIGEST)                 or : [email-masked]
Administrative Items To     : [email-masked]